Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, May 10, 2018

#ThursdayThoughts Guest Post by Robert Jones

Good Morning!

You know how much I enjoy sharing new authors with you! Before I get into  my guest, I hope you'll take note of the "Love Them Cowboys" contest in the margin of my blog. I along with 14 authors are giving away lots of prizes so check it out!

Now on to my guest.....

Although I've mentioned Healthy Life Press before, today's guest is brand new to our blog so please give Robert a huge welcome!


Taking the 'Trane to School

I drive my eldest daughter to kindergarten every morning. It is the best part of my day. We spend most of our time listening to music and talking about what's special in our lives. I am continually surprised by the music that appeals to her at five years old. The Beach Boys' seminal Pet Sounds is currently unremarkable to her. Meanwhile, she is enthralled by hard bop and free jazz. John Coltrane's spiritual awakening, embodied in A Love Supreme, is as much a masterpiece to her as it is to jazz critics.

Coltrane wrote in the liner notes of this album that:

"God breathes through us so completely...so gently we hardly feel it..." 

After I drop off my daughter and as I make my way to work, I often think about Coltrane's “Psalm”, the fourth and final piece on the record. On the track, he speaks a devotional prayer – also in the liner notes – through his saxophone. I think about the peak experiences in my life, the moments in which I've been able to offer just the right silence, just the right word, or just the right action. To the extent I've shared something good with the world, in my writing or otherwise, I am not the author. It has been my experience again and again that it is only when I step back that He works through me, and that I do good.


What a lovely post, Robert and definitely moments and memories to treasure! Thanks for sharing.

Robert Jones, like most parents, is a developing storyteller. He reads to his daughters nightly (and whenever they ask) and draws on analogies to explain complex ideas. He has also learned to improvise silly characters in even sillier situations to wrest his children from otherwise inconsolable moods. His stories are becoming books because of the insistence of his children that his characters be brought to life. While he wishes he could spend his days engaged in such important endeavors, he supports his family by working as a general manager for an eCommerce company.


Robert's first book, Happiness: A Lesson with Lulu, is available through Healthy Life Press, amazon.com, and wholesale to booksellers at Ingramcontent.com/retailers.

Watch the Book Trailer HERE!

This sounds like a wonderful book for children and grandchildren so I hope you'll support this young father and new author by grabbing a copy and I hope you'll join me each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God Bless!
PamT

8 comments:

Wild Women Authors said...

What a lovely post. These daily trips/conversations will stay with you--I promise. I have very fond memories of similar trips with two of my grandchildren on our various "adventures" over the years. It warms my heart when they bring them up with the 'remember when, Nana?'
Thank you for sharing this.

Connie Bretes said...

A beautiful post. I remember how I used to walk to school with my Dad. He held my hand tightly and I always loved that time with him. Your daughter will remember those times with you as well. Good luck with your stories, I hope you have great success.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

When I drove my boys to school, we listened to seventies rock. Sometimes, times were hilarious. So nice to get to know you and your work. VB

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I too have written stories for my children and now grandchildren. It's very meaningful. Congrats!

marilyn leach said...

What a genuine joy, to hear of the results of family spending daily time talking together, rather than conversing via text messages. I hope it's still happening when your daughter is twelve! She's going to grow up being a musical genius if she appreciates Coltrane at five years old. May your books bless children far and wide. Cheers

Alina K. Field said...

My husband retired when my daughter was a bratty ninth grader and he took over the driving her to school duties. When they got close to school he would roll all the windows down and blast a Polish polka band cd. Dad knew how to get his little girl's attention! We still laugh about that, and now she and I are talking about writing a children's book for her little boy.

Wonderful post and best of luck with the book!

Robert Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert Jones said...

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement! I wish all of you the very best in your endeavors as well.

It really is amazing what we'll do for our children, but then, it is amazing how they challenge and enrich our lives too. That said, I'm told that I should write this down and revisit it daily once they hit their teenage years.

-Robert